Astroparticle Physics Community Art Challenge
Entry deadline is September 30th, 2023
The astroparticle physics community and the McDonald Institute are excited to announce a new art challenge to uncover creative talent among the physics research community. The initiative, started by Hector Hawley Herrera (2022 Highly Qualified Personnel Advisory Committee), looks to showcase the often unnoticed and undisclosed artistic talent of researchers while simultaneously offering a virtual and physical space for creativity and community gathering. The Astroparticle Physics Community Art Challenge holds three categories for the community to submit their artistic creations under the Day to Day Living theme. A panel of judges selected by the HQPAC will decide the award winners.
The research community contributes to fascinating science but rarely do we get to see the unique and dynamic lives lead by many of the community. The theme Day to Day Living gives an opportunity for you to shine parts of your life both inside and outside the lab.
You may enter the contest if you fall under one or more of the following categories:
- Currently studying Physics
- Currently studying a field with touchpoints to astroparticle physics (including but not limited to engineering, chemistry, and geology students)
- Physics Professors
Content will be submitted to one of three categories under the theme “Day to Day Life”.
Submission Categories include:
1. Open-ended / Free form (accepting any art medium)
2. Physical Art
3. Digital Art
Entry deadline is August 31st, 2023.
Step 1. Submissions are to be sent to HQPACC@gmail.com. If your file is greater than 25 MB, please use gmail as it automatically adds a Google Drive link in the email instead of including it as an attachment.
Step 2. Label the subject of your email as “2023 Art Contest Submission”.
Step 3. Include the title of your art, description, full name, email and school / employer affiliation, and submission category in the email body.
There is no limit to entries.
Category winners will be selected by the judging committee based on:
- Creativity of the piece.
- Artist’s interpretation of the theme.
- Quality of abstract.
- Quality of the piece.
File Size and Format:
- JPG, PNG, MP3,MP4, Compilable Code, Physical Contribution. If you’re interested in submitted art outside of the mentioned formats please email HQPACC@gmail.com.
- Size each image to a maximum of 1920 pixels wide and 1080 pixels high.
- Images can be any size and aspect ratio as long as they adhere to these maximum width and height requirements.
- Physical art should be sent in the form of an image and may be required to send by mail (mailing fees paid for by the McDonald Institute).
- Please limit file size to 8MB. If there is a requirement to exceed that please contact the HQPAC at HQPACC@gmail.com.
- No Quantum Art.
The Work Must Be Original:
You must be the creator of the art you submit to the competition. Your art must be your original concept and not a copy of anyone else’s copyrighted material. By submitting artwork to the competition, you agree that it will be displayed on the internet, websites and social media as part of the competition. Upon submitting your work to this competition, you are solely responsible for any infringement on copyrighted materials.
Everyone has a hidden talent. Some are just so well hidden that you can never find them.
– Susan Gale